Hidden Cauliflower Macaroni and Cheese
Since I cringe at the idea of Easy Mac or the yellow powdered “cheese” from Kraft, a few days ago I decided to venture out and make my own homemade mac and cheese. Then I thought, why not spike the nutrition up a notch and add in a little cauliflower. Cauliflower is pretty bland, so you won’t even notice it right? Correct! I thought it was going to end up such a disaster, but it turned out surprisingly tasty. So go ahead, give it a try! This recipe is based off of a recipe from Dr. Will Clower’s book, The French Don’t Diet Plan.
pinch of salt and pepper
splash of extra- virgin olive oil
2 cups of elbow macaroni
2 TBSP of unsalted butter
2 TBSP of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of whole milk or cream
1 bay leaf
1 and 1/4 cup of grated Cheddar cheese
1 cup of steamed cauliflower
1) Cook the elbow macaroni according to directions on the package
2) put the steamed cauliflower into a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth
While the pasta is cooking:
3) Melt the butter over medium heat in second sauce pan. Add the flour and mix it throughly with the butter to form a roux. Brown it only slightly.
4) Pour in milk, bay leaf, salt and pepper and bring to simmer and whisk until smooth.
5) Remove bay leaf and stir in grated cheese and cauliflower to complete the sauce. Let it heat completely
6) Drain the macaroni and toss with sauce and enjoy!
Note: You can always switch up the cheeses to your liking or toss it with some cubed ham!